Too old to be a fanboy, so I guess nerd applies.
When knowledge of the existence of the Giant Sequoia reached East, in the mid-nineteenth century, it set off a frenzy of logging. People wanted to see the “Monarchs of the Forest” with their own eyes. Therefore, some of the largest trees were sliced into traveling exhibitions.
(Among them the first named tree,”Discovery”.)
As settlers moved West the trees were further cleared & defaced, including the excoriation of “Mother of the Forest” in the Calaveras Grove.
Because of their size & brittle wood, the largest would shatter into pieces on the stoney ground. A burst tree was only suitable for fence posts, not housing material.
These activities, in spite of the public’s apparent zeal, were already considered repugnant by some & helped to shape public land use policy that is still being fought over today.
Happy Earth Day.
Cross section of different types of cables.
I almost scrolled past this, thinking it was just some polymer clay.
REALLY just wanna take this chance to remind the people who follow me to not kill/trap opossums if they’re in your yard, and do not call animal control! Seriously.
- Opossums are literally 100% BIOLOGICALLY INCAPABLE of carrying rabies. Their body temperature is too cool to incubate it properly.
- Opossums are actually quite gentle and NOCTURNAL, so if they’re roaming, they’ve probably gotten lost, been injured, and are looking for a place to hide.
- Young opossums tend to try to climb into garbage cans when they’re starving. This is because THEY ARE LITERALLY STARVING. Don’t fucking shoot them or hit them with things because you wanna be some fucking macho top-of-the-food-chain cocksucker.
- Mama possums are amazing mothers and if you encounter an “aggressive” opossum, it’s probably because she’s got babies hanging off her nipple and she’s freaking out. They’re clumsy. Sometimes they don’t hear you coming and you catch each other off guard.
- Wanna lure an opossum off of your property? You can set up a box with some greens and cat kibble in it, hide it well, and lure them out that way. They’re actually quite harmless and keep other predators away. they eat lotsa gross stuff.
- Opossum mamas who get hit by cars often still have their helpless babies attached to them. Possums get a bad rep and people say they are “the dumbest animal”, but they are incredible creatures who have been around since the days of fucking dinosaurs so treat them well, okay?
I’ve raised about a dozen orphaned or rescued opossums. I can understand protecting your domestic fowl, but the callous brutality perpetrated culturally against them is just sadistic & ultimately pointless.
1. to pierce; to penetrate into or run through (something), as a sharp, pointed dagger, object, or instrument does.
2. full of holes or foramina; perforated.
Etymology: from Late Latin forāminātus “bored, pierced”, equivalent to forāmin-.
Superhero families take their kids back to school. [source]
THE SPIDER MAN ONE
absolutely not. no no no
When I was going through this I thought it was really sweet bUT THEN I SAW THE SPIDER-MAN MAN ONE AT THE END
WHY WOULD YOU
Because with great talent comes great responsibility to honor what breathes life into a character.
This looks like one of those fake products created when people get a hold of a companies online marketing campaign.
Because we’re all slack - jawed hillbillies, Bill?
First, it’s not like the heirs to that money actually have any say about the policies of that corporation.
Second, assuming that the residents of Northwest Arkansas are undeserving of Art or unable to appreciate it makes you look like an elitist, liberal prick.