tura satana appreciation post. here’s what u need to know:
- born in 1938 and died in 2011
- her parents were a silent movie actor and a circus performer
- she was gang-raped by five men when she was ten. they were never prosecuted and it was rumoured that the judge was paid off.
- this prompted her to train in various martial arts (such as aikido and karate)
- over the next 15 years, she hunted down each of her rapists and exacted revenge against them. they never even knew who she was until she told them
- at the same time, she formed an all-woman gang called “the angeles”
- "we had leather motorcycle jackets, jeans and boots and we kicked butt."
- moved to los angeles when she was 15 and supported herself
- dated elvis presley and turned down a marriage proposal from him
- her most famous film role was in 1965, as varla, a “very aggressive and sexual female character”, in faster, pussycat! kill! kill! (a film that was “an ode to female violence”)
- tura was responsible for her own costume, makeup, use of martial arts, and much of her dialouge. she also performed all her own stunts and fight scenes
- was known for not taking shit from anyone. russ meyer, the director for faster, pussycat! kill!, said of her “[tura was] extremely capable. she knew how to handle herself. don’t fuck with her! and if you have to fuck her, do it well! she might turn on you!”
Welcome to Derinkuyu, an underground city that once housed up to 20,000 people. In the Cappadocia region, famous for its cave dwellings and underground villages, Derinkuyu stands out for sheer size and complexity. Locals began digging in the 500s BCE. The city consists of over 600 doors, each of which can be closed from the inside. Each floor could be closed off as well. And just to make attacking completely impossible, the entire city was deliberately built without any logic. Its maze-like layout makes navigating the city nightmarish for unfamiliar invaders.
IRL Skyrim dungeon.
Phil Noto ~ Superhero Candids
My favorite is Sue staring at Johnny in the UN Lobby.
OK, I’ll admit that seeing Jean/Phoenix gave me a start.
I thought, “This is before. Before the Hellfire Club, before the Dark Phoenix, when this ancient cosmic force was still innocent.” & just maybe my eyes got a little misty.
this thing w ferguson is making me wonder how many of the historical riots that happened in the 20th century they teach you about in school were actually ‘riots’ ??
I’m scared that in 40 years, I’m gonna have to tell my child what really happened because their textbooks will be full of lies
history is written by the victors
“You fool. No man can kill me.”
How many times am I allowed to reblog this before it gets weird?
Fun facts: Tolkien constructed this scene because he came out of Macbeth thinking that Shakespeare had missed a golden opportunity with the ”Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn the power of man, for none of woman born shall harm Macbeth” prophecy
Being letdown by Macbeth is apparently a significant factor in Tolkien’s writing because the Ent/Huorn attack on Isengard was the result of his disappointment that the whole “til Birnam Wood come to Dunsinane” thing was just some dudes holding sticks and not actual ambulatory trees.
so he basically took his favorite shakespeare headcanons and put them into his AU fic
This revelation just knocked me over.
Talk shit. Get hit.
Benedict Cumberbatch’s name
I remember when people first realized how much funnier these comics were just without Garfield’s dialog, which Jon was never able to hear anyway. Garfield only ever communicated to us readers in thought balloons, after all. What we’re seeing here is Jon’s canonical reality.
I’m torn between laughing at these and being deeply worried for Jon lol
This is me.
This is my life.